Monday, June 18, 2012

Moms, don't forget about YOU this summer!



We are several weeks into our Summer Fun Schedule now and it took me a while to realize why I was feeling so drained at the end of the day. I made time in the plan for my personal quiet time in the mornings. I do housework while the kids play, and help them with their brain games when they need it. Then after a few days, I realized I didn't plan any time for me to exercise. Not that housekeeping and playing with small children all day isn't exercise, but let's be realistic, at 30 something it's just not enough anymore. 


Last year I wrote about the comedy of trying to go for a walk (intending to exercise) with my kids. I said I was "walking for life" then, and now I feel like I have to walk like my life depended on it - because really it does. My friends have often heard me say, "something just changes at age 30 that makes everything harder." It's so true. Did you know that after 30, women start losing bone density? Did you know that the habits you have now will determine your health for the rest of your life?


No need to panic. I'm just saying, it's time to be realistic and see that although you (and I) may have kids, you are not a kid anymore. We have to accept that we can't eat and move the way we have up until now without consequences. It's time to eat smart and move more. This means we have to carve out a little more "mom" time in our day to make our health a priority for ourselves and our family. You will be much happier, healthier and likely a better parent able to provide for your family as well.


http://www.fitnessblender.com
So here's my plan. During that 6 to 8pm grayish area when the kids are supposed to play with dad after dinner and before bed, that's my treadmill time. I can get on, get a quick 1.5 mile walk in about 30 minutes (less than the time it takes them to play one Mario Wii game). If its a pretty day, we might all go for a walk. I've read that some studies have shown that exercising 2 to 3 hours before bedtime actually helps you sleep better. Bonus! Also, I have found a new website that has really helped me out. It's called Fitness Blender and it's a website dedicated to providing quality fitness videos for FREE.  Here's what it says about their website: "Fitness for every body; Fitness Blender has full length workout videos for every fitness level, completely free of charge. Fitness Blender offers a wide range of workout videos built by professionals, including full body workout routines, Pilates, strength training, cardio, stretching, toning, weight loss, tabata, sports specific training, and rehabilitation for injuries and physical conditions. No gimmicks, no garbage, no fine print; maybe there is such a thing as a free lunch."
I have followed along with the 10 minute arm routine on my laptop while the kids are getting ready for bed or while I'm cooking dinner. If I can't commit to 30 minutes of walking all at one time I can do 10 minute videos a few times a day and fit it in. Who doesn't have 10 minutes to spare to improve their health? You do, that's who! So let's get up and keep moving - because our future quality of life really does depend on it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment