Monday, May 12, 2014

This Mother's Heart

The last couple weeks since spring break have been a whirlwind. We have been to urgent care (twice), dermatologist, orthopedic, dentist and pediatric dentist. Our youngest had a sinus infection and had to be on antibiotics, our oldest had a bike accident and broke 3 toes. I've been feeling a bit overwhelmed by it all.

Mostly, I've had a hard time accepting my 8 year old's broken toes injury and the four weeks he has to spend in a post-op shoe. He is the sweetest, kindest, most well-behaved kid whose had a tough year at school and moving and all he longs to do is play baseball. He played four games this season before his accident and now he's out for the rest of the season (again). Last year he only got in one game before he broke his wrist in a swing accident. He's really pretty good at baseball and he LOVES it. Why him? Why now? But humility comes in strange forms sometimes. I never saw my son cry over this injury or the news that he was done with baseball. Instead, as we waited in the very crowded waiting room at the orthopedic office he looked around at all the people on stretchers and in wheelchairs and said to me "it could've been a lot worse." At 8 years old he is trusting that God has a plan for this and He will bring healing in His time. Wow. What faith! I have learned a lesson from him.

Yesterday was Mother's Day. Anyway, as I was working at the kitchen counter fixing supper plates, my youngest son came to me in tears saying he needed to ask Jesus in his heart! I'm thinking, "What is going on?" His Pastor/Daddy was home and sat right down in the kitchen floor with us and went over the ABC's of becoming a Christian and he prayed to accept Jesus as his Savior. What a gift! This is the moment we've been praying for. I'm speechless. Again, a humbling moment to watch my 6 year old acknowledge his relationship with Christ and the fact that Jesus died for his sins. If you don't know what I'm talking about please read "Got Joy" and decide what your personal response to Christ will be.

"The Lord has done great things for us, and we are filled with Joy." Psalm 126:3

No comments:

Post a Comment