Wednesday, November 7, 2012

One Nation Under God

While feeling a little let down after the election yesterday, I began thinking about the pledge my son's class recites to the flag everyday which says, "one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."  It seems our nation keeps choosing to get a little further away from the one true God each election. How long will God keep silent? How long will He delay bringing judgement? Surely He isn't pleased as our country elects to allow gay marriage, abortion, drugs for recreational use, and embraces a leader who probably wouldn't know Jesus if he met him face to face. It's an abomination to God. Frankly, I was a little surprised when the sun came up this morning. I thought to myself, surely the end is near. God has promised to return and bring an end to all this chaos and the reality of our evening news is eerily similar to end-time prophesies of the Bible. But then I am gently reminded, "through the LORD's mercies we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not.  They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness." (Lam. 3:22-23). Because God allowed the sun to rise this morning, He is allowing us one more chance to turn to Him. One more chance to tell someone about Him. One more chance to choose Jesus.

I Choose Jesus by Moriah Peters is healing to my soul today. It reminds me to stand unashamed, trusting in the ONE TRUE GOD no matter the cost. Stand firm Christians! Pray for our nation. Pray for people to turn their hearts to the Lord and make choices that reflect God's will. May we be the light in this dark world that He has called us to be. May He break our hearts for what breaks His as heard in the song Jesus Friend of Sinners by Casting Crowns. Make us compassionate, authentic, humble, merciful servants to this lost and dying world. 

No song has moved me more today than the one my seven-year-old son wrote by himself yesterday. He had the day off from school, went with me to vote, and at the end of his to-do list for yesterday he wanted to write a song. He read it to me just before his bedtime as I was trying to eagerly watch the election results on the news. It goes like this:
God Almighty, God is good, all things God does miracles, boom that He must slowly grow angry, there must be a key to get to God Almighty, God of Glory, God Almighty, God who is the King of Glory. 
It might not make sense to you, but to me it shows me even a child can understand God's mercy, forgiveness, compassion, and Holiness. It reminds me that even though we all make bad choices, God is still in control. He is still the one true God that is over all the nations. May we seek Him as King of Glory and bow before His righteousness humbling ourselves as we ask for His mercy. God bless the USA.


No comments:

Post a Comment