Wednesday, January 16, 2013

A Brave New Year

Well Happy New Year! I know it's been quiet on the blog lately. Frankly, I've been at a loss of words for things to write about. It would not bless you to hear about our gloomy depressing rainy and stormy Seattle-like weather which has kept us mostly indoors for more than a month! Since the weather has been terrible my kids have spent most of their indoor time playing video games and building with legos, not exactly blog worthy events to photograph or write about.

January has brought changes for all of us. My 2nd grader is moving to a new school next week, upward basketball has started back (which means major changes to our routine - esp. Dad), winter ladies Bible Study class has started "Stepping Up" by Beth Moore, and that's just our family. Many of you, like us, are bravely facing changes to our nation such as higher taxes, less health care, less freedom, and more crime. These are uncertain times we're living in.

That's why I wanted my first post of 2013 to be a review of a Bible Study I recently did on my own. Our church has ladies Bible study classes offered in January and August each lasting about 6-8 weeks. When our last study ended in October, I didn't want to wait until January to do another study. I found "Brave: Honest questions women ask" by Angela Thomas at my local Lifeway store. In these uncertain times, I felt I could use a little more bravery so I gave it a try. This is a six week study with five days of homework in the workbook followed by a viewer guide if you want to purchase the video's online. I didn't do the videos just the workbook. Initially  I thought this would be a light Bible Study because the homework is short, to the point, and not like the intensive looking up a ton of scriptures studies I was used to. However, upon finishing this study it stirred something in me that caused deeper introspection than most studies I've done.

Brave invites you to come under the wings of the Lord's refuge and honestly confess to Him:

  • Lord, I am worn out
  • Lord, I am suffering a thorn
  • Lord, I am undisciplined
  • Lord, I am trembling inside
  • Lord, I am invisible
  • Lord, I am broken
This study didn't just point out the faults in myself and leave me feeling guilty or unworthy. It reminded me not just what I am but WHOSE I am. As a child of God, I am HIS. Because of that, I do have the power of the Holy Spirit in me, I am strengthened, I am comforted, I am given peace, I am seen by God.  Jesus said, "I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." (John 16:33) We are more than conquerors with Christ. Go bravely into this new year. Be ready to say yes to whatever God asks you to do, bravely knowing that He will equip you for the task.

Blessings to each of you.
Lydia


No comments:

Post a Comment