Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Walking for Life

Yesterday my sister, Laura, ran her first 10K at the Peachtree Road Race. I am so proud of her accomplishments. It’s amazing that after only training herself to run for about 6 months she finished the 6.2 miles in just over 1 hour. Awesome! She’s found a healthy hobby and she looks and feels amazing. Laura is an inspiration to her own sons and students alike.

Of course, being the younger sister, it did make me the tiniest bit jealous that she can do something I can’t do. So after breakfast this morning I suited up in my own running gear and dressed my boys (ages 3 and 6) likewise and set out for a walk. They rode their bikes and I walked, jogged, and stopped to help up and down the sidewalk, fix helmets, encourage tired toddlers to persevere, watch for traffic, etc. In the 90 degree heat (at 9:30 am) the 1.5 mile walk seemed like an eternity. We all did persevere and made it back home in 30 minutes 3.12 seconds dripping with sweat! Suddenly, I remembered the words to a Miley Cyrus song, “It ain’t about how fast you get there. Ain’t about what’s waiting on the other side. It’s the climb.”  I may never be a hard-core athletic runner. I may never be able to run a mile in under 10 minutes, wipe the snot off my face with my bear arm, pee in my pants {on purpose} to save the time a pit stop would take and keep the pace. But I will forever remember the comedy of going for exercise with my boys and watching them wear the training wheels off their bikes speeding up and down the sidewalk. I will cheer with my son when he celebrates making it back to the house first (even if it took all day to get there). Hopefully, along the way, my boys will get the message that exercise is important and fun and I’ll keep on walking for life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment