Monday, May 23, 2011

From the mouths of babes

This morning I asked my youngest son, Shawn, to say the blessing at breakfast. After some reluctance on his part, because he was in a hurry to eat, he prays, "Thank you God for our food, family, and the whole universe. Amen!" I chuckled at a three year old praying for the whole universe, after all that's a big word for such a little guy. But then I started thinking how little my own prayers are. How many times a day do I quickly shoot up arrow prayers for help or thanks for something without really taking time to be thankful for all of the many blessings around me? Have I taken for granted that the same God who created the whole universe and everything in it at the sound of His voice is still in control of it today?  The same Creator who allows natural disasters also limits them from destroying the whole earth. Although, sadly, several people have lost their lives in the deadly tornadoes in Alabama, Missouri and elsewhere, countless other lives and property were spared. Don't forget to look for the blessings even if you are in the midst of what seems like disaster. Philippians 4:6-7 says, "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."







No comments:

Post a Comment